Re: Wrapping Variables

[ The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
  This reply is sent only to the "Free Framers" mailing list.
  If this reply is useful, consider copying it to FrameUsers. ]

From: "John Posada" <JPosada@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Hi, guys...I'm using variables to insert text into headers and footers.
> I've defined heading 2 to go into my footer. However, I have some long
> heading 2s, such as: "Specifying CICS Resource Names in Virtual Clock
> Definitions" that tend to crowd other elements in the footer.
> I have a feeling this is an issue similar to TOCs, but I thought I'd
> ask...Is there a way to limit the line width of a variable where if it
> exceeds the length, wraps to the next line?

Well, it depends on what you mean and what your footer looks like.
If a variable doesn't fit on a line, it wraps to the next by default.
If you want to control *where* the variable text wraps, you do the
same thing as for headers in a TOC: replace ordinary spaces with
hard (non-breaking) spaces (entered as "\ " in the variable def.),
in the part of the variable text you wish to keep on the second line.

I assume you mean that your variable uses too much of the horizontal
space in the footer and moves into the space intended for other
elements, perhaps even pushing them to the next line. You want to
line-break the variable *without* affecting the rest of the footer
text? So, the first part of the variable text stays on one line
together with the rest of the footer elements on that line, and
the second part is put on the next line together with the rest of
the footer on that line. Does that sound about right?

If so, replace your single footer text frame with two or more
aligned text frames, one for the variable text, and the rest for
the remaining parts of the footer. The variable text may then
line-wrap without affecting the other elements.