RE: cudspan: Cannot initialize API client

Fred Ma wrote:

> I just downloaded the cudspan packages
>
>    HuntOverrides.dll
>    book_looker.dll
>    pgf_whopper.dll
>
> Apparently, on need only put these into the "PLUGINS"
> directory.  The only plugins directory I seem to have
> is under the fminit directory, called "Plugins".
> But I get an error message when starting FM6:
>
>    Cannot initialize API client
>    c:\program files\...\fminit\plugins\FileName.dll
>
> I get one such message per DLL from the 3 cudspan
> packages.  <snip>

Curious. I'm using these, too (FM6, Win2k), and installed them just as
you did -- no maker.ini changes are required.

<FMHome>\fminit\Plugins\ is indeed the correct location (where <FMHome>
is the directory in which you have FM6 installed).

In fact, the error messages seem to confirm that FM is finding and
attempting to install them. Could there be a problem with file/directory
permissions? I'm grasping at straws here, since loading the DLLs is a
read-only operation, but... :-)

I've never seen any conflicts/incompatibilities among plugins, and I
have quite a few -- IXGen, Enhance, FrameScript, WWP6, Electropubs, and
3 from Carmen Publishing (plus about half of FM's own -- import/export
filters, WordCount, etc.).

But if you have others, you might try temporarily commenting them out in
maker.ini (or removing them from the Plugins directory, if not installed
via maker.ini) to see if it makes any difference.

And there's always the Windows standard troubleshooting technique --
reboot. ;-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs