Re: Generating inactive Cross references

> Effectively, when a glossary word change, I just have to
> change the word in the glossary file to change all the words in my
> documentations.
> I do not know if it was right to handle cross-reference for single-sourcing
> but variables are not easy to manage.

Variables don't need to be harder to manage than cross-references.
Try this: in your "glossary" file (in the book), make a list or a
table of all your words. Make each word a variable and insert it
into the list/table (possibly with an explanation). Import all
variables from the glossary file to the other files in the book.

When you need to insert a word in the other files, you insert a
variable instead of a cross-ref. To make this easier, have the
glossary file open and copy/paste the variable from there.
You don't need to bring up and scroll the Variables dialog.
This should be easier than inserting a cross-ref each time.

If a word changes, make the change in the glossary by double-
clicking the variable, and then import variables again.

There are a few drawbacks with this method:
* You need to make sure all variables are the same in all files,
  including Running H/F variables. You must import all variables.
* You must remember to import variables. This cannot be done
  automatically, unless you use FrameScript.
* If you have a few "important" variables, like company or product
  names, they may "get lost" in the long list of variables. You
  can include them too in the glossary file, making it a Variables
  file instead. Or, name the variables wisely and use the Ctrl-0 (zero)
  shortcut to insert variables.

Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
Technical Communicator, Uppsala, Sweden
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@xxxxxxxxx
http://go.to/framers/