RE: How to Avoid Screwing Up Your System BADLY! (WAS: New Version of Adobe FrameMaker ...)

Dov,

This concern has come up before, numerous times in fact.

WHY can't the installation programs check to see what is already installed on the user's system and ASK THE USER / PROVIDE APPROPRIATE WARNINGS when installation would cause problems?

If someone decides to install anyway after the software says (in effect) "YO, pudding-head!  If you proceed you will mess up your ability to make a PDF file from every single application installed on this machine.  Are you really, REALLY sure you want to defile the system that?" then I have absolutely no sympathy for them. But the software itself should not, for lack of a better word, default to do precisely that.

It seems frankly absurd that I can install a new version of software, FrameMaker 7.0 perhaps, and as part of that installation have it corrupt another program that is installed, Acrobat for example, just because it does not bother to find out I have Acrobat 6 and not 5 or even 4 installed.

I seem to recall you having spent a great deal of time addressing these problems in this forum; and I suspect that Adobe Customer Support did also.  I would think that requiring the programming of an installation routine that does not bunny-stomp on another correctly installed application would take no more time than you have devoted in the past, and now may have to do again as FrameMaker 7.1 hits the streets and systems of the user community.

- Lester

  Lester C. Smalley		Email:  	 lsmalley AT infocon DOT com
  Information Consultants, Inc.	Phone:   302-239-2942 FAX: 302-239-1712
  Yorklyn, DE  19736	 	Internet:  www.infocon.com