[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next]
[Date Index] [Thread Index] [New search]

RE: F_ApiGetNamedObject and FO_RefPage

Thanks to Sue, in Ottawa, for reminding me to look at FA_errno and for the
Reference Page information below.  
I reset FA_errno to zero just prior to the F_ApiGetNamedObject call.  After
the call, FA_errno took on the value of -20 (FA_NameNotFound).  The comment
in fapidef.h for this error is /* Can't find object with requested name */.
Does that mean that the 'name' argument value of "Entity Declarations" is
invalid in FM7.0?  (In 5.5.6, FA_errno was 0 and an ID of 117710856 was
returned.)  I viewed the reference page and there is an empty Entity
Declarations table, as was the case in FM+SGML 5.5.6.  So it looks like I do
have a reference page, but F_ApiGetNamedObject can't find it.  I tried
casting the quoted string to a StringT, but that didn't change the outcome.
Any thoughts?

-----Original Message-----
From: Sue 
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 16:53
To: 'Vorndran, Charles P'
Subject: RE: F_ApiGetNamedObject and FO_RefPage

Entity Declaration is the name of a Reference Page - it has nothing to do
with the sdk. When you import a file from xml for instance it creates a
Reference Page called Entity Declarations which it uses to map tables,
paragraphs etc. If you don't have this reference page in your file then the
F_ApiGetNamedObject command will return 0 - not found. It is not an error,
if you want to see if there is an error in the code check the value of

Hope this helps 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Vorndran, Charles P [ mailto:Charles.Vorndran@usa.xerox.com
<mailto:Charles.Vorndran@usa.xerox.com> ] 
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 4:41 PM 
To: '<framers@omsys.com>' 
Subject: F_ApiGetNamedObject and FO_RefPage 

Here's a Client API question for the hard-core developer types: 

I'm trying to understand the behavior difference in one of our custom 
plugins that I inherited for maintenance.  The difference is the result of 
changing platforms from FM+SGML 5.5.6 to FM 7.0. Here's the situation. 
There's an API client call to F_ApiGetNamedObject as follows: 
idEntDecl = F_ApiGetNamedObject(g_MachineDataId, FO_RefPage, "Entity 
where g_MachineDataId is a valid ID returned by M_CBHiddenOpen(strFileName) 
for a valid entity definition file. 

In FM+SGML 5.5.6 the value of idEntDecl is a valid FM internal ID, allowing 
the plug-in that it lives in to work just fine.  In FM 7.0, however the 
value of idEntDecl is zero.  This causes the plug-in to fail in 7.0 on the 
very actions that were so very successful in 5.5.6. 

So, I'm looking for a little insight.  How do I know that "Entity 
Declarations" is a valid name parameter for an FO_RefPage object? 
Unfortunately, the author of this code is nowhere to be contacted so I can't

ask him how he found it.  And the FDK documentation falls a bit short in 
that area. 

Also, are there any hints as to why there would be a behavior difference 
between 5.5.6 and 7.0?  It doesn't seem be the FDK because I used the FDK7.0

to compile a plug-in that worked fine in the FM+SGML 5.5.6 environment.  But

neither the FDK 5.5.6 built plug-in or the FDK 7.0 built plug-in works in 
the FM7.0 environment. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this. 

Chuck Vorndran 
Software Development Engineer 
Xerox Corporation 

Chuck Vorndran 
Software Development Engineer 
Xerox Corporation 
  Xerox Global Services / eServices 
extension: 18717 
intelnet: 8*221.8717 
outside: +1 585.231.8717 

** To unsubscribe, send a message to majordomo@omsys.com ** 
** with "unsubscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.   ** 

This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information.  If you
have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you
may not use, copy, disseminate or distribute it; do not open any
attachments, delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender
promptly by e-mail that you have done so.  Thank you.

** To unsubscribe, send a message to majordomo@omsys.com **
** with "unsubscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.   **