RE: Frame 7 on XP keyboard/mouse/GUI misbehavior

David Foster straightened me out:

> I know you're not supposed to let go of the key! Egad!
>
> Ctrl+9 should open the Paragraph catalog; when I let go of the Ctrl
key
> (*after* pressing the 9) and then the 9, the status bar reverts to its
usual
> appearance. Ditto with trying to type an em dash: Ctrl+q Shift+P
yields a
> capital P.

OK, here's another possibility: In Control Panel, check Accessibility
Options (at least that's what it's called in Win2k).

On my machine, two of the options -- StickyKeys and FilterKeys -- look
like they might cause unexpected responses (or non-responses) to
keystrokes. And they could (on Win2k, anyway) be accidentally activated.
For instance, on my machine, holding the right Shift key down for eight
seconds turns on FilterKeys; that must be the default setting, since
I've never even looked at it before. :-)

HTH!
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs