RE: Frame error message when saving

I'm not on the Frameusers list, where this may have originated.

> > I am having a very strange intermittant problem in Frame 7, Win2K.
> > Occasionally, but becoming more annoyingly common, when I'm
> working in a
> > file and do a routine Ctrl+S to save it, I receive the
> following error
> > message: "The document was saved to a temporary file, but
> Framemaker
> can't
> > rename it to have the correct name. The newer version has an odd
> suffix."

We got this problem, and tons of it, using Frame 5.5.6/NT.  We save to a
UNIX filesystem (mapped as a drive on our PC) about 99.7% of the time.  The
UNIX filesystem was accessed through a Samba server.

Well, we mapped another drive directly to the machine that held our home
directories, and when we used this method of accessing the UNIX filesystem
the problem went away completely.  (I don't think we ever saw this message
if we were saving to the hard drive on the PC, only when we were saving to
UNIX filesystem).

I will add that at first the error was occasional, and generally happened to
only one (rather annoyed) person.  Then it started spreading to other users
(who also became rather annoyed).  We tried a LOT of different
things--checking for disk space, checking LAN connections, re-installing
FrameMaker--and none of these helped.  Then, we tried the different drive
mapping--and all was sweetness and light again.

Ed (wow, blast from the past, eh?) Treijs