ASC X12

My little start-up employer is preparing an RFP response to a potential, large customer. For documentation, they want compliance with ANSI ASC X12. Rather than spending $600 to buy that standard (and how many weeks reading it) I thought I'd ask if anyone here has done an X12-compliant doc.

A few general words would be appreciated. Is the easiest path to compliance hiring one of those firms that specializes in EDI? Is XML now a part of the standard? If so, does FM's XML capabilities meet the standard?

TIA

Jim Stauffer
Sr. Technical Writer
BeamReach Networks