Re: Automating Conversion of FM to HTML?

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:43:19 -0600, "Nancy Kaminski"
<nancy.kaminski@spanlink.com> wrote:

>1. Is it possible to automate the conversion of thousands of FM docs
>(probably created on various versions of Unix FM) into HTML? Would it be
>best to use Webworks in this process, or does the "save as HTML" feature
>do the job?

Yes, it is possible.  Using our conversion product, Mif2Go, the process
depends on the types of graphics used, and the type of Frame file.  If
your graphics are embedded, or use any Frame vector elements (such as
callouts), or if your files are Frame binary (.fm) rather than MIF,
then you will need to convert from within Frame using the plugin.  You
can convert an entire book in one operation, so you could add all the
files to one giant book and convert that.  Or convert the existing
books, if any.  This is quick and easy, and provides better results
than "save as HTML".

If, OTOH, all graphics are referenced and are alone in their anchored
frames, and the files are already MIF, you can run from a script from
the command line, and do not even have to have a copy of FrameMaker.

You can obtain the sample version of Mif2Go and try out both methods
for yourself by downloading it (with full docs) from:
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/download/
where the current version is samp33u30.zip (with samp33u31.zip coming
in a few days).  Mif2Go is $295 for a single-seat license, including
a year of email tech support and all upgrades, and runs on Windows.
It is free for unemployed tech writers and underemployed consultants,
as well as for trainers and students in FM classes, and several types
of nonprofits; write to offer@omsys.com to request such copies.

>2. Can Unix FM docs be opened with PC FM?

Yes.  As long as the PC version is the same version number or higher,
it can open .fm files produced on UNIX (or Mac).  Frame can open MIF
docs produced by *any* other version, earlier or later.

HTH!

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/