Re: Graphics, callouts, and internationalization

Hi, Roger.
You wrote:
> understand that for internationalization purposes, callouts should be kept
> outside the anchored frame. Is there anything else I need to observe? Or
> any further advice you would care to give on preparation of graphics for
> i18n?

It's a bit unclear to me.. You referenced to the numbering only, not the
I18n text...
Any way, there are some common I18n graphic conceptions from my experience..
it may be wrong for you, sorry.

I agree with Thomas, but a preparing of complex FM document for conversion
into HTML is another headache...

= The one fundamental and enough good way is to convert all screens to
Photoshop PSD with multiple text layers (one layer - one language),
generating later TIFF files for each language you will have.
You should save all PSD files with your FM document yet.

Yet a very old I18n rule is to keep off all text inside document evading to
place it in external picture/OLE files.
It will help to translators and I18n DTP engineers in the future.

= Another way is to use anchored root frame with inner graphic subframe that
has a reference or a copy of your screen picture.
All callouts are placed over the root anchored frame (and glued to it).
The international text usually placed into the small text subframes that are
corresponded to the concrete callout line.
Such text boxes are placed also over root anchored frame and glued to
their/its position.

= The main mastery is to make all design in document a bit free when you
prepare a document for to be created/translated to multiply languages as you
know the fact a length/volume of the same text with different languages is
shorter/smaller or longer/bigger.

That is let make those text boxes for callouts as 15-25% taller.
Design your para style with some extra space before/after para and try to
anchor a position of  text / para to that element it should be aligned. Use
hidden tables for keep off a picture and a complex text near this picture.

= If all was done OK, you should get a perfect result as if you add or move
one/two words in the any separate line or para, nothing changed in page
layout, or it would move correctly to the next page.

Regards,
Dm.