Cross-reference using marker text?

[Cross-posted to both Frame lists]

I can't find any hints about this, so perhaps it's a new feature request...

The manual for a client's software product has a heading "Finding, changing,
and deleting XXX", with only one paragraph of text. This is the only place
where the functions are described in full; they are identical except that,
once you've done a Find, you can select Change or Delete from a context
menu. The manual is distributed as a PDF.

In another part of the interface, there's a toolbar with a whole heap of
icons -- including Find, Change, and Delete. Client wants these icons to
have labels that function as hot links in the PDF. That is, against the
icons they want links "Finding XXX", "Changing XXX", and Deleting XXX", all
going to the aforementioned heading. (Restructuring isn't the answer; the
toolbar is an optional extra, so the main information has to stay where it
is. Splitting into three, with separate headings, looks poor. Using
"invisible" paras with white text also doesn't look good. I question the
value of the hot links, but the client is always right.)

The nice and easy way would be to set up three separate spot xref markers in
the heading, and use them as the xref source; but I can't see any way of
getting different text into the xrefs. Ideally, I'd like "Marker Text" as a
building block in the xref format; then I could set up the three spot
markers the way I want them, and use them as the icon labels.

Any ideas, anyone?

(Client is on FM6, Win2K; in my own office I have both FM6 and FM7, and a
choice of Win98SE or WinXP.)

Michael Lewis

Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia
PO Box 1373, Macquarie Centre, NSW 2113
88/35-39 Fontenoy Road, Macquarie Park, NSW 2113
http://www.brandle.com.au
Tel +61-2-9889-3677 ... Fax +61-2-9889-3688