Re: Laserprinter recommendations sought

Dov:

> > My personal trusty Epson EPL 7000 (HP IIP emulation) is dying and is
probably not
> > worth the cost of attempting repair.
> >
> > Therefore I am in the market for a laserprinter to replace it for my
personal use
> > - not corporate level. Yes, I do an occasional manual printout but that
is only
> > 20% or so of total pages printed.
> >
> > I am tempted to get a overhauled HP 4 or 5M as the printers I see out
there do not
> > seem any more robust than those. Also I have seen duplexing versions of
these on
> > occasion.
> > [...]
> > Allen Schaaf
>
> A low-mileage, certified-by-someone-knows-what-they-are-doing
> LaserJet 5M should fit your bill. Adobe PostScript Level 2, an
> exceptionally reliable laser engine and controller, readily
> and inexpensively available toner supplies, excellent performance
> even by today's standards (5 years later), high quality output,
> and very reliable software. I personally own two and with enough
> memory (cheap these days; 23MB even with duplexing is ample),
> it prints everything, including the most gnarly InDesign and PDF
> files we can throw at it.

What's your opinion of these Lexmark models?  (I have a chance to pick one
up cheaply.)

 Lexmark Optra S 1250 A4 Laser printer

 Lexmark Optra S 1650 A4 Laser Printer

 Lexmark Optra S 1855 A4 Laser Printer

 Lexmark Optra S 2455 A4 Laser Printer

Do they have genuine PostScript and, if so, at what level?

Does Adobe publish a list of printers that include official PostScript
interpreters?

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor

(C) MYOB Limited 2002