Re: 72 dpi graphics appearing at roughly 50 dpi

At 12:28 PM 3/5/02, Thomas Michanek wrote:

[snip]

>Others may disagree, but I claim that a bitmap graphic has no native DPI
>of itself. A bitmap graphic is a certain number of pixels in width and height.
>One may argue that the "native" screen resolution of a Macintosh or
>Windows screen image is 72 or 96 dpi, but in reality a bitmap image
>doesn't have a resolution expressed in "dots per inch" until it's
>physically realized, on either a particular monitor or a particular
>printer. (An "inch" is by definition a physical measurement in the real world.)

I absolutely agree.  In fact the size a graphic renders on a screen or
printer depends on several factors.  What is the resolution of the screen
for one. 1024X768 on a 17" monitor is not the same physical size as
1024X768 on a 21" monitor but a 300X400 pixel image still occupies 300X400
pixels.

I use Snagit for screen captures and it allows you to set the "resolution"
in the file header but that is only for other program's purposes.  It makes
it easy to import into FM and reframe/resize larger, if I need it. You
change it in Snagit and the displayed size in Photoshop changes but it is
still 300X400 pixels to use the prior example.

BTW, my screen at home displays at 87 dpi (approx.) and at work at 81 dpi
(approx.)! Both windoze boxes but one is a 17" and the other is a 19".  The
same is true of Mac displays. The 72 and 96 numbers are myths.

Allen Schaaf
Sr. Tech Writer
Fourelle Systems, Inc.

Who says bad manuals aren't a risk to your life?  Just ask the passengers
of the jet where the engine caught fire because the company's maintenance
manual was wrong about how to install one key bolt.  (NTSB Report on GE CF6
engine fire, American Airlines flight 574, July 9, 1998.
<http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/1999/AAB9903.htm>)