Win 98 2E Memory Leaks

I have a Win 98 2E platform with 128 MB of memory. Virtual Memory is set to
a minimum size of 1 GB. My main disk is very close to 100% optimized. Using
Norton System Doctor sensors, I can monitor memory, virtual memory, and
swap file usage, and current date/time. As memory usage approaches 100%
with all programs inactive, I initially note that the time begins lagging
behind real time, and computer response slows down appreciably. Continued
operation under this condition almost inevitably produces anomalies,
requiring a  shutdown or restart. It's also interesting to note that
post-restart/shutdown memory usage is 2% higher after a shutdown/restart
than it is after a shutdown/power-off/power-on sequence.

I've been using the System Doctor Memory Usage sensor to determine memory
usage before, during, and after opening, using, and closing various
programs. Virtual Memory and Swap File Usages remained unchanged during
these tests. But the difference between the Before and After memory usage
values can be significant, and indicate the magnitude of the memory leak
attributable to each program.

I've found the main culprits to be Eudora, Internet Explorer, and Acrobat
4.05 Distiller. Surprisingly, FrameMaker+SGML 5.5.6 and 6.0 seem to produce
tolerable memory leaks, although, in some cases, the size of the leak
becomes more severe.

Questions:

1. Does my methodology for detecting the amount of memory leakage produced
by various programs appear to be valid?

2. Have any of you used a similar methodology to identify the programs
which are the main culprits, and if so, do your findings agree with mine?

3. I've looked on the internet for programs capable of eliminating memory
leaks, but I'm still leery of installing any of them. Does anyone have any
recommendations about which program works best on a Win 98 2E platform?

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
177 Riverside Ave., STE F, #1151, Newport Beach, CA 92663