How to reduce a version of PDF 1.4 files to Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3)

Few months ago it was the off-list hot discussion between some frame list
owners, me and Dov about two high-important questions - is any PDF file
platform independent in fact? (as sometimes we and other people have the
irresistible problems reading the simple PDF 1.3 files in Sun Solaris and
HP-UX (Reader 4.05), these files were fine in Windows and Mac.); and how to
reduce a version of PDF files to Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3) format without the loss
of PDF bookmarks etc.?

Last question is less theoretical.

It is a very bad fashion now to cut off an enemy's retreat with the help of
some new applications that haven't an option "Save the file in the previous
version of this program".

A good sample of this hardcode marketing bias is InDesign 2.0 and Acrobat.

User ought to hold a wolf by the ears if he/she made a job in the new
version of software for customers that work in the previous version of soft.
Since this time I didn't know a solution differs from the printing from
Acrobat 5 to PS again distill to PDF 1.3 file.
All PDF bookmarks and a lot of PDF data have been lost in this way.

The Callas pdfSaveAsPDF1.3 plug-in solved this problem, we're just happy.
Hope it helps other Framers too.

Regards,
Dmitri.

>Callas SaveAsPDF1.3 offers the opportunity to save PDF files as
PDF 1.3 within Adobe Acrobat 4 and Adobe Acrobat 5 and thus
bridges the gap between Adobe Acrobat 4 and Acrobat 5.

pdfSaveAsPDF1.3 is a new Plug-In for Adobe Acobat that allows
users to save PDF files for Adobe Acrobat 4 compatability,
thus bridging the gap in the transition period from the use of
PDF 1.3 to PDF 1.4.

In order to be able to use the exciting new features in
Acrobat 5 v the invaluable overprint preview alone makes
upgrading worthwhile v and at the same time avoid deadlock
situations where the user gets files that should behave just
fine in the current workflow but happen to have been saved in
PDF 1.4 the new pdfSaveAsPDF1.3 will keep the user going until
all components of his PDF workflow have been updated and will
handle PDF 1.4.

http://www.callas.de/pdfSaveAs/_e/saveas_e.htm