What does this Frame 5.5.6 error message mean?

Hi;

We are running Frame 5.5.6 on NT and saving docs to a UNIX network drive
through a samba 2.2.1a server.

Occasionally, someone experiences the following:

"File *BLAH* has chaned on the disk since you last opened or saved it.
Someone else has probably modified the file.  Do you want to save it
anyway?"

Click Okay....

"The document was saved to a temporary file, but FrameMaker can't rename it
to have the correct name.  The newer version has an odd suffix."

Unfortunately, at this point the document we're trying to save is no longer
in the directory.  There may still be a .backup file.

The next time we try to save, similar messages, and the .backup file is also
missing.  We never see this error saving to local HD (which however is not
backed up, doesn't have RCS versioning, etc).

This happens more to some people than others.  It has started happening
recently to someone who has been using the same machine and software for
years, so I don't think it's a Frame bug per se.

I suspect that the underlying cause is a network error, and the message we
get on screen is Frame NT trying to make sense of it.  I'm hoping that an
explanation of the error message might help us pinpoint where the real
problem is occurring.  I've looked through the Adobe knowledgebase, but
haven't found anything.

Thanks for any clues!

Ed (maybe it's Colonel Mustard, with the lead pipe, in the network switch!)
Treijs