Re: Indexing mystery

Hi,

Exactly right, Martha -- good recommendation. The Marker box remembers its
state. If the last marker you touched was a Xref marker, an open Marker
window switches to Xref mode until manually changed back (or until you
touch an existing Index marker). Scan for Xref markers and check their
contents -- a little time-consuming, but effective.

Bill Swallow's comment of missing markers is also a good one -- since most
markers are part of the word they touch, double-clicking on a word selects
the marker as well -- and overtyping erases the marker with the word.
Solution -- edit with text symbols turned on.

Another frequent pilot-error indexing problem is to mistype punctuation,
entering ; for :, etc. This has the effect of changing a sub-entry into a
main entry or causing similar mayhem. The entry (or part of an entry) is
moved elsewhere in the index, and odd phantom entries pop up, often in the
Symbols section.

Check the typing in markers carefully for entries you suspect of containing
errors. Again, time-consuming, but effective.

Good luck,

Tom Neuburger

The Masters Series: FrameMaker 6
ISBN 1-930597-01-0