Re: Recovering corrupted FrameMaker SGML 5.5.6 files

Hi Robert,

Just a thought -- since you're on Unix, run a head command on these files
and on known good files. Make sure the first lines are the same.

About forcing, no, but you might try cutting an increasingly longer tail
off the file until you find the largest piece that -will- open.

Presumably, your main interest is in recovery and you've checked your
backups, etc., for the most recent recoverable data. Most of the time, this
kind of corruption occurs because of a "bad save" and there's some recent
backup that will get the project going again. It's hard to imagine how data
insertion occurred, except manually.

Best,

Tom Neuburger

The Masters Series: FrameMaker 6