RE: FrameMaker not deleting empty pages on save

Or you could accomplish the same thing by setting the file to Delete
Empty Pages, and setting the file that follows to start on a right page,
which will force FrameMaker to add a page at the end of first file,
thereby making the page count even. The page that is added will use the
Left master page.

Debbi Fortney
Technical Trainer/Consultant
Adobe Certified Expert, FrameMaker & Photoshop
Bothell, WA 98011
425-482-2617
debbi.fortney@verizon.net

Dick Gaskill replied to Hedley Finger:

> The problem is that the "make page count even" command does
> ONLY that.  It does not check to see if any pages are empty
> and does not delete them.
>
> If you create a new FM file, hit the Enter key 21 times, then
> modify the tag to include a page break (update all), you will
> get 21 pages.  Set the pagination to Make Page Count Even and
> then save.  FM counts the pages and then adds a blank page to
> make the page count 22 (even).
>
> But - there is a workaround.  Note that in the same drop-down
> list there is a choice to Delete Empty Pages.  Set that one,
> then do a Save All Files in Book, then set Make Page Count
> Even, and save all the files again.  Kinda kludgy, but it works.
>
> NOTE - Frame considers a blank page with a single para mark
> on it NOT an "empty" page.  The Delete Empty Pages command
> works only on pages that have nothing at all on the body page.
<snip>

Hedley Finger wrote:

> This is a really baffling one.  My colleague has a book with
> about 24 chapters and appendices in toto.  This book contains
> a large number of conditions so we can produce custom user
> guides for various products and markets.  We show all the
> conditions when maintaining the content, then show only the
> selected conditions for the current deliverable.  Each
> component file has a large number of blank Left and Right
> pages at the end after only the selected conditions are exposed.
>
> The Before Saving & Printing drop-list is set to Make Page
> Count Even in the Pagination dialogue.  But when we save or
> print, FrameMaker does not delete the unwanted blank pages.
> Neither does it delete them when we update the book file.  In
> fact it is behaving as though the last page of each component
> has had a custom master page applied to it.  Applying the
> appropriate Left or Rignt master to these last pages has no effect.
<snip>