Re: Right tool for print + multi-version Web + .pdf + ... ?

The ideal solution would be to use FM+SGML to author and maintain the
documents, and export them to XML and PDF. Then, using XSLT, the XML
versions of the documents can be converted to HTML, SHTML., or whatever.
One key advantage of XML is that it uses Unicode to define the glyphs for
any language. This will facilitate translation into latin- and
Chinese/Japanese-based languages, but Arabic is a problem for FrameMaker
because it reads right-to-left. Also, FM+SGML 6 cannot utilize Unicode
fonts. Perhaps this limitation, as well as the current inability to import
XML back into FM+SGML, will be corrected in the next release.

S-Tagger, which works on FrameMaker MIF files, offers the best language
translation solution. The structured MIF files are converted by S-Tagger
into Word 2000 files, with all the MIF constructs preserved, and the
translation is done in Word. Then, S-Tagger converts the translated version
from Word back to MIF for import into FM+SGML as structured documents.
However, the language limitations of FM+SGML described above still prevail.
It might be best to keep the translations in Word 2000 (which can utilize
Unicode fonts), from which (potentially) they could successfully be
exported to XML.

The main advantage of FM+SGML over ordinary FrameMaker is structure and
metadata. Metadata, in the form of attributes, offers many advantages for
information management, formatting, and other functions. On export to XML,
the structure and metadata are preserved, eliminating the necessity of
mapping paragraph tags to structure as would be required to convert
ordinary FrameMaker files to XML using Webworks Publisher or MIF2GO. That
conversion route into XML also severely limits the preservation of metadata
in the form of attributes.

In FM+SGML the definition of structure is accomplished by an Element
Definition Document (EDD), which is analogour to an SGML or XML Document
Type Definition (DTD). In addtion, however, the EDD also provides Structure
Rules, which define context- and attribute-based formatting of FM+SGML
structured documents. The development of a new EDD is not trivial task,
however. But, if you choose to use an EDD that has already been developed
(DocBook for example), the development cost can be substantially reduced.

The ideal solution would be to create your documents in FM+SGML using an
appropriate EDD. PDFs can then be produced directly, and, with Acrobat 5,
some aspects of structure are preserved, but (so far as I know) the
metadata would be lost. In addition, you would export the documents to XML,
preserving all the structure and metadata, and the resulting XML documents
would be stored in a database repository where they are broken down (to any
desired granularity) into their constituent structural components. From the
database repository, customized documents can be assembled on-the-fly (in
response to a database query, for instance), and then passed through XSLT
to produce the deliverable document in HTML or SHTML, for example, with and
any desired formatting.

Implementing the full approach, however, would likely be daunting and
costly. But there are enormous advantages to it that can, in many cases,
produce a huge return on your investment.

I have written a paper (in PDF format) entitled FrameMaker+SGML Information
Design. You can find it at Shlomo Peretz's website:

http://www.microtype.com/

Click on the Resources link. At the top of the Resources page, you'll see a
list of links. Click on "Dan Emory's Articles". You'll find the document there.

At 08:27 PM 1/30/02 -0500, wkeppel@pacbell.net wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>A few years ago I used FrameMaker 4 (Macintosh) on some book-length
>documents with lots of illustrations and cross-references. It was great!
>Now I'm planning a large, complex print-plus-web project and wonder if
>FrameMaker 6 +SGML  is the right tool for the job. (I'm a website newbie,
>but don't mind a steep learning curve if the tools will do the job.)
>
>My initial project will be a content-heavy (articles, papers) website with
>some related print documents, plus a photo archive. I'm planning to have
>multiple versions of the same site so I can accommodate overseas users
>with very slow connection speeds (text only). Content documents will be
>available in HTML for online viewing, and .pdf for printing. Parts of the
>site will eventually be translated into various languages, including
>Arabaic and perhaps Chinese. Over time, I'll also be adding slide shows,
>some with voice-overs, and perhaps video.
>
>A priority is minimizing site maintenance and minimizing hassles when
>changes are made. I'm hoping FrameMaker will allow me to maintain the text
>portions of the site as a FrameMaker archive, auto-generating tables of
>contents and automatically updating cross-references, and that I'll then
>be able to export changed documents as HTML for the website proper.
>
>So, is FrameMaker 6 +SGML the right tool for the job? If not, what is, and
>why?

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
177 Riverside Ave., STE F, #1151, Newport Beach, CA 92663