RE: PDF access from compiled context sensitive html help

Thomas-

I tried many times to pull this off (embed a PDF inside a .chm file) and
have never been able to do it.

I use RoboHELP to do the actual compiling. *.chm files are known to be very
buggy, so much so that RoboHELP has created a workaround called "baggage
files." Baggage files are specific include elements that are intended to be
embedded during the compile. However, even including the PDF as a baggage
file does not successfully embed the PDF inside the .chm file (clicking the
PDF URLS returns an internal path error).

I've also tried using external relative URLs (e.g., ../dir/file.pdf). I
don't get a path error but... the PDF viewer gets invoked but just hangs
trying to open the file. Even spawning a new browser window doesn't help.

I'd be most interested in knowing any possible workarounds for these bugs.

FWIW, Microsoft has release version 2.0 of HTML Help. RoboHELP is supposed
to be supporting this in their next release. However, I don't know if this
particular bug has been fixed. Several other high profile bugs have not been
fixed (e.g., invoking field-level context-sensitive help inside a *.chm; MS
still uses WinHELP for their CSH).

Warmest Regards,
Michael L. Tatro
Documentation Manager/Webmaster