RE: Intellimouse (IntelliPoint) in FrameMaker [DEFINITIVE!]

Terri, Carol, and all:

> > > I just started my first tech writing job and my coworkers tell me
that I
> > > can scroll via mouse in Frame as well as in Word. I went to the site
> > > posted in an earlier message by Dov Isaacs, but the page no longer
exists.

> > > I found my way to the driver for IntelliPoint mouse software version
4.01.
> > > (No other version seems to be available) and downloaded it.
> > >
> > > Alas, my new IntelliMouse wheel works in Word but not in FrameMaker.
>
> I have a Gateway Tower that came with a Primax wheel mouse and Primax
> drivers.  [...]  I scrounged a Microsoft
> Intellimouse, downloaded the driver installer, and installed away.
Trouble
> is that some unholy combination of executable files resulted, so that
> FrameMaker repeatedly crashed.  [...]
>
> At great cost to my mental stability I managed to remove the Primax
drivers
> and re-install Intellimouse from scratch, when FrameMaker scrolled
> perfectly and did not crash.

I discovered that, in fact, the IntelliPoint 4.01 mouse drivers locked up
FrameMaker 6.0 when you attempted to use autoscroll.  [Autoscroll is where
you PRESS the wheel to paste a wafer with up and down arrows onto your
document window.  Then, as you move the pointer above or below the wafer,
the document scrolls towards the wafer.  Move the mouse over the wafer and
scrolling stops.  The further above or below the wafer the pointer is, the
faster the scroll.  Press the wheel again to remove the wafer.]

However, there is a counter-intuitive fix to make the IntelliMouse wheel
work with FM 6 in Windows 2000.

1    Download the Intellipoint 4.01 drivers from
     <http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/download.asp>
     and install.

2    Choose Start > Programs > Microsoft Mouse (standard installation)
     to open the control panel.

3    In the Mouse Properties dialogue,
     @    click the Buttons tab,
     @    mark the Enable Program-Specific Button Settings check box,
     @    and click the Settings button.

4    In the Advanced Button Settings dialogue,
     @    click Add to browse to the location of the FrameMaker.exe file,
and
     @    change the Wheel Button drop-list to Forward.

5    Click OK to exit the Advanced Button Settings dialogue.

6    In the Mouse Properties dialogue, make any other customizations you
want.

Now, autoscroll will work as advertised, EVEN THOUGH you selected Forward
for the wheel action, and your other scrolling preferences will also be
honoured.

IntelliPoint -- great software from a grate company!   8^)

[Windows 2000, IntelliMouse (the first Microsoft wheel mouse with unequally
sized buttons, and an "ergonomic" palm grip bent like the tip of a hockey
stick), FrameMaker 6.0p405, FrameScript 1.27C01, Enhance 2.03,
Acrobat 4.05.2, mif2go 31r25, IXgen 5.5.h]

Regards,
Hedley

--
Subscribe to Free Framers -- send this message
      subscribe framers your@email.address

Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor
MYOB Australia <http://www.myob.com.au/>
P.O. box 371   Blackburn VIC 3130   Australia
<mailto:hedley_finger@myob.com.au>
Tel. +61 3 9894 0945
Mob. +61 412 461 558