RE: Intellimouse (IntelliPoint) in FrameMaker [GOTCHAS!]

Terri:

> The Microsoft mouse driver that comes with Windows 2000 is somewhat
> deficient, to say the least. The "wheel scroll" feature does indeed
> work perfectly fine in FrameMaker 6 and other applications if you
> download the latest Microsoft IntelliPoint Mouse Driver version 3.2
> from Microsoft's web site at:
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/products/hardware/mouse/driver/3_2/default.htm>
>
>         - Dov

> > I just started my first tech writing job and my coworkers tell me that
> > can scroll via mouse in Frame as well as in Word. I went to the site
> > posted in an earlier message by Dov Isaacs, but the page no longer
exists.

> > I found my way to the driver for IntelliPoint mouse software version
4.01.
> > (No other version seems to be available) and downloaded it.
> >
> > Alas, my new IntelliMouse wheel works in Word but not in FrameMaker.

I have a Gateway Tower that came with a Primax wheel mouse and Primax
drivers.  This did not work well with FrameMaker.  I scrounged a Microsoft
Intellimouse, downloaded the driver installer, and installed away.  Trouble
is that some unholy combination of executable files resulted, so that
FrameMaker repeatedly crashed.  Also, the mouse control panel displayed
duplicates of various tabs, some contributed by the Primax drivers and some
by the Intellimouse drivers.

At great cost to my mental stability I managed to remove the Primax drivers
and re-install Intellimouse from scratch, when FrameMaker scrolled
perfectly and did not crash.

Moral: make sure there are no funny third-party drivers from Primax,
Logitech, or whoever, which can interfere with the Intellimouse drivers.

Note that the latest installer is in fact a universal installer which
detects your mouse model and installs the appropriate software.  Make sure
that wheel functionality is enabled for FrameMaker in the control panel.

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor

                    Carol Gilbert
                    <cgilbert@seeCommerce.com>          To:     framers@FrameUsers.com (Framers List)
                    Sent by:                            cc:
                    bounce-framers-79823@lists.r        Subject:     RE: Intellimouse (IntelliPoint) in FrameMaker