MetaEDD Editing

I was about to embark on some experimenting and though I would ask if anyone
else had tried this first.
One of the dangers while creating EDDs (as I see it) is renaming an element or
formatchangelist name and then not changing all references to it.
In order to minimise this risk, I thought about using cross-references. Will I
run into any pitfalls using this method? I do know that to begin with I will
have to assign paragraph format tags to the Tag element in the MetaEDD if I want
to find the target text easily. Or, should it be done by including an optional
ID attribute for the Tag element?
Any Ideas?

Eric L. Dunn