RE: Frame vs. word AGAIN (you gotta feel sympathy!)

Tania and others:

Below is an extract from a discussion on the
<austechwriter@yahoogroups.com> list between suffering Word users trying to
solve a numbered paragraph problem.  Makes your eyes water, doesn't it?  Or
just wallow in the Schadenfreude^2!

Regards,
Hedley

<<<<<<

Subject: [austechwriter] RE: SEQ fields conflict

Rod,

I think you're seeing the effect of two different issues, which is why the
results seem so confusing.

The first issue (as Rhonda, Brian and Jean have said) is that you need to
use different series identifiers. The purpose of the identifier (such as
"Step") is to uniquely identify each concurrent series. (Using an
identifier
in Word is similar to using a series label such as "S:" in FrameMaker.)

I think the second issue is that not all of your fields have been updated.

One way you might have arrived at the first example (below) is to create
the
series (using a numeric format for each field), update the fields, make the
format of two of the fields alphabetic, and then update only those two
fields.

1. Blah
2. Blah
           a) Subordinate blah
           b) Another subordinate blah
5. Frustrated blah

Although the course of actual events might have been different, my bet is
that if you update the last field, Word will number it as "3", which brings
me to your second example (below).

Because you used the same series identifier, there is only one series. All
you can do with it is reset it, increment it, or change its format (numeric
or alphabetic). In square brackets, I've added my interpretation of what's
going on:

1.         Blah
2.         Blah
a)         Subordinate blah [Reset series and make it alphabetic]
b)         More subordinate blah
3.         Hooray! blah [Would be step "c", but change format to numeric]
a)         Subordinate blah [Reset series and make it alphabetic again]
b)         Extra subordinate blah
3.         What the... [Would be step "c", but change format to numeric
again]

To solve the issue of fields that haven't been updated (as in the first
example), update all fields at the same time. You can use several
approaches
to do so. If you have some fields in headers or footers, you can use the
tip
(from Deborah Salverda on AUSTECHWRITER) of switching to Normal view (Alt+V
N, or Ctrl+Alt+N) before you update all fields (Ctrl+A F9). If you *don't*
have any fields in headers or footers, you can just briefly switch to Print
Preview (Alt+F V Esc, or Ctrl+F2 Esc) *provided* that you have chosen
"Update fields" on the Print tab of the Options dialog box.

I hope you see what I mean,
Craig