Re: general question about frame and SGML

At 03:41 PM 10/3/01 -0400, edunn@transport.bombardier.com wrote:

>Unless you have IEM or information exchange/storage requirements for SGML,
>there
>is absolutely no need for you to implement an SGML workflow.

I can think of plenty of reasons besides the ones you mention for going the
SGML/XML route using FM+SGML. One being an optimal solution to single-sourcing.

Another is that it offers a way to store legacy information in a manner
that is independent of proprietary viewing and DTP software, thus such
documents can survive a beyond the lifetime ot a particular DTP or viewing
product.

Finally, there's the enormous potential benefit of adding metadata in the
form of attributes, which provide a superior way of managing, revising, and
retrieving information.

>Adding SGML without these needs will only give you tighter control on the
>use of
>the templates (if the DTD is correctly done). If you already have good
>template
>and format control of your documentation then SGML may only be an added
>hassle.

A template is only as reliable as the people who use it, whereas using
FM+SGML and a well-designed EDD absolutely guarantees formatting
consistency as well as structural consistency. Also, because the EDD
automates the formatting, the writer's focus can be exclusively on content
and structure, without the distraction of formatting worries. This can
substantially improve writer productivity, as well as reducing the amount
of quality assurance time required to make documents acceptable.

>Eric L. Dunn

>** with "unsubscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.   **

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
177 Riverside Ave., STE F, #1151, Newport Beach, CA 92663