Import User Variable Ineffective in FM 6.0 on Solaris 2.7

I have tried importing my user variable definitions from the first
document in my book into the remaining documents in my book with no
effect (old variable definitions in the other documents still appear).

I selected all the documents in the book except the first one, selected
File>Import>Formats from the book window, then imported the Variable
Definitions from the first document in the book into all the rest of the
book. When I checked, the first document still had the updated variable
definitions, but all the other documents in the book still had the old
definitions.

Any ideas?

FM 6.0 (original distribution, no patches or updates) on Solaris 2.7.

Ezra