Re: Listing & comparing tag properties...

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
*** If this message is useful, consider sending it to FrameUsers.

From: "Greg Price" <Greg.Price@Sun.COM>
> Is there a way to:
> 1. print a list of all the properties/settings for a tag, instead of just
>    looking through the GUI menus and options?
> 2. compare two tags and list the properties that differ?
> 3. have Frame give an indication of what property is overridden for a
>    particular tag?
>
> ps. I'm using Frame on a UNIX machine.

Since you're on UNIX, the best option is to use my free MIF scripts
that can do all of the things above plus more. Take a look at:
http://w1.184.telia.com/~u18407300/mifscripts/

These are command-line scripts operating on MIF files, and they
work best on Western, non-SGML, version 3/4/5.x FM files. They
are not tested with FM 6, but should work as expected.
The script to use in your case is:

"mifformats : List or compare format definitions and overrides in MIF files"
Examines the specified MIF files and checks the definitions/values of
tags/formats/variables, as they are defined in the corresponding catalog.
Three "modes" are available:
* By default, the first MIF file is considered a "template" to which all of
  the remaining MIF files are compared. Differences in definitions compared
  to the template are listed for each file. Formats defined in a file
  but not defined in the template are noted, and vice versa.
* The definitions are simply listed in full, without comparison.
* Format overrides compared to the definitions are listed.

Definitions/values are listed in "human-readable" form, not by using the
original MIF statements. All definitions use the same names and values as
can be seen in the dialog window where the formats/tags are defined.