Re: Index Palette in Reader

Steven,

You wrote:

>Since Reader can show the Bookmarks palette containing pgfs from a FM doc,
>is there also a way to have an "Index" palette which contains all the index
>entries of a doc?
>
>Catalog does not suit what I'm after. I'm hoping to find some way to have
>the index entries always visible in the left-side pane, like the Bookmarks.
>Do any tools exist that add this capability? I've searched PlanetPDF and
>FrameUsers archives.

With the TimeSavers add-on, you can define bookmarks through standard
hypertext markers, in addition to those generated automatically from
paragraphs.  A new QuickAccess bookmarks function (included in TimeSavers
3.2, to be released next week) further streamlines this capability and also
enables sorting and the automatic addition of GroupTitle bookmarks.

Markers defining such bookmarks can either be inserted locally using
FrameMaker's Special >Marker dialog box, or created/maintained using
the IXgen marker management utility. The sorted QuickAccess bookmarks
will typically be a subset of the standard index, if available.

Using the Index entries paragraphs themselves as bookmarks does not
make much sense, as they will take the readers to the index entry in
the index page rather than to the location of the actual information.
The index entry will have to be located once in the bookmark list, and
once again in the index page itself, often a busy multi-column page,
and then the page number will have to be activated.

Another possibility that you may explore is converting your FrameMaker
book to separate PDFs (instead of a single PDF). The Index will then
be available as standalone, fully-linked PDF. (If desired, links in the
Index PDF can be set to open the target in a separate Acrobat Window
using additional controls).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker-to-Acrobat: SP TimeSavers / Advanced Techniques Training / Solutions