Re: FM 6.0 loses its character

> Has anybody else had the experience of character amnesia?

Not personally, but I've heard of problems if the FM files are
transferred or processed through other utilities or document
management software. Do you send your files through Trados
or any other such software and then back again to FM?

Recently, I've also helped "debug" a vaguely similar problem
for another framer, and it turned out that FM+SGML 5.5.0 may
have a problem with losing character tags used in cross-refs.
In that case, it helped to save the files as MIF, re-open
the MIF files, resave as MIF and reopen again! (I'm not sure
that really was necessary, but it apparently cleared out the
problem and reinserted the "missing" tags.)

So, check the tools in your workflow and try the MIF route.
By saving as MIF, you can check if the places missing the
tags look OK or have some weird coding. In the case above,
the MIF code I saw was really strange and was impossible to
recreate on my end.

Regards,

Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
Technical Writer, IAR Systems, Uppsala, Sweden
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
http://w1.184.telia.com/~u18407300/
* *   NEW  WEB  ADDRESS  SINCE  JUNE  1   * *