Re: SGML fragments imported by reference problems

It's not at all clear from your description what the problem is.
1. Are the "fragments" :
     a. On reference pages in the SGML document (hereafter called the
Target Document)? If so, is each such fragment in a separately named text
flow within the Target Document's reference pages?
     b. Each fragment in a separate file, that is separate from the file
containing the Target Document?
     c. Multiple fragments (each in a separately named text flow) within a
single file that is separate from the file containing the Target Document?

2. Are the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 in your example part of the Target
Document or the fragments? If the answer is that they're part of the Target
Document, are you inserting the fragments inside the same elements that
contain those numbers in the Target Document?

3. Does the element structure of the fragments conform to the same DTD/EDD
as that used to create the Target Document? If not, that's likely to be the
cause.

4. Are the fragments valid at the text insertion points where they are
being imported? You should be able to check this by re-validating the
Target Document after you've imported the fragments. If the validator
reports an error at the location of the fragments, that's the cause of the
problem.

5. Are you sure that there are no ad hoc format overrides to the
EDD-specified format rules for the fragments or the Target Document? After
importing the fragments into the Target Document, you can check this by
re-importing the Target Document's element definitions back into itself
with "Remove Format Rule Overrides" turned on.  If this corrects the
problem, then you've found the cause.

6. Are you importing the fragments into the Target Document by copy or by
reference? Change to the other option, and re-import. If the problem is
eliminated, you've found the cause.

7. When you import the fragments, are you specifying that they be
reformatted according to the target document, or are you specifying that
the formatting in the fragment be preserved? If you've selected preserving
the formatting in the fragment files, try changing the option to reformat
according to the target document. If the problem is eliminated, you've
found the cause.

8. You state that : "the first paragraph layout of the fragment is repeated
at the end."
      a. What exactly do you mean by "the first paragraph layout of the
fragment"? If the fragments are structured, I don't understand what
"paragraph layout" has to do with anything that's relevant, Does the
fragment consist of a single element, or multiple elements?

9. Your description that the "first paragraph layout of the fragment is
repeated at the end" doesn't seem to gibe with what you describe later,
namely that:

1. xxxx
xxx
2. yyyy
yyyy
3.
4. xxxx
xxxx

"In the above example you can see the 3. being incorrect. It somehow a part
of the imported fragment"
Is the problem that the second line of yyyy under 2 above is a "repeat of
the first line", or is the problem that 3 (which presumably is in the
Target Document) is becoming part of the fragment under 2? I conclude that
it's the latter.

If my conclusion above is correct, and the other measures I've suggested
above don't fix the problem, then the most likely cause is that the
insertion point for importing the structured yyyy fragment was inside the
same Target Document container element that contains the number 3 instead
of being outside the left boundary of that container element. The next most
likely cause is that the fragment containing yyyyy is not, in fact,
structured, and instead is an ordinary unstructured FrameMaker paragraph
which you are inserting into an element that does not accommodate <TEXT>,
in which case the Target Document has been made invalid by the insertion of
the fragment.

At 10:07 AM 7/30/01 +0200, Adrie Berg wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a problem with imported SGML fragments into an SGML document. We
>use SGML documents to force document content and to enable validation. The
>files however are saved as FM files for performance reasons, and because
>we can then use some additional frame layout options.
>
>There is a problem when importing the SGML fragments by reference into a
>main document. Sometimes the first paragraph layout of the fragment is
>repeated at the end. This can really mess up the document makeup. Any
>hints on how to avoid this behaviour are appriciated.
>
>My documents look something like this: (xxx = normal document, yyy =
>imported fragment)
>
>1. xxxx
>xxx
>2. yyyy
>yyyy
>3.
>4. xxxx
>xxxx
>
>In the above example you can see the 3. being incorrect. It somehow a part
>of the imported fragment. Please help.
>
>Regards,
>Adrie Berg
>Daidalos

>** with "unsubscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.   **

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
177 Riverside Ave., STE F, #1151, Newport Beach, CA 92663