RE: PDF graphics bewilderment

> Acrobat 4.0x has a known problem in that indexed color (i.e. GIF and
> grayscale TIFF under Windows) images don't downsample or compress.

Thanks for the clarification. However, this affects color TIFFs
(not grayscale), and the images do compress as they should (i.e.
the PDF file size is reduced significantly when the compression
settings are used). It's only the downsampling that doesn't seem
to work for anything but 24-bit images.

Does this sound like a new twist to the known problem?
Also, I cannot find any info on this known problem in the Adobe
support database. It would be nice if it was included there.

Unfortunately, we're not in a position to upgrade to Acrobat 5.

Thanks again,