RE: PDF graphics bewilderment

> It's the downsampling that's killing your screenshots. Bitmap formats just
> don't survive that sampling. Stick with 8-bit Zip compression.

I assume you know the difference between downsampling and compression.
I failed to mention that I have also tried 8-bit ZIP compression,
and the results are exactly the same, i.e. the problems with my
images are not the effect of any lossy compression (like JPEG).

We prefer to downsample to keep the PDF file size smaller. It's
not a general problem with downsampling, as it only affects some
of the images (see my original message). We can of course settle
with no downsampling if there's no other way, but I'd like to know
why apparently some images are downsampled and others are not.

I've been told there are bugs in Acrobat 4 with downsampling
and/or compression. Can anyone elaborate?