Re: EDD Maintenance and Design [ideas]

At 01:20 PM 6/27/01 -0400, edunn@transport.bombardier.com wrote:
>[W]hy not just allow
>multiple format changelists in one All Contexts rule? To me it's a sign of a
>badly permissive structure that allows multiple All Contexts. As I have not
>tested this approach, I'm assuming the last applied "All Contexts" is the one
>that "sticks". Am I right?

Eric,
  It would be convenient to be able to specify individual properties as
well as a format change list, or multiple format change lists in one rule.
However, the ability to have multiple rules (all contexts, context, level
rules, or a combination) is still useful since it lets you modularize
your format rules.
  Applicable rules are applied in order. As long as they don't reset the
same properties, they all "stick". For example, if you have one rule
that adds 4 pt to, say, the font size, and another rule that subtracts
1 pt, the net effect is to add 3 pts. If you have one rule that adds 3 pt
followed by a rule that sets the absolute size to 12pt, the second rule
overrides the result of the first and you are left with a size of 12 pt.

	--Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
lprice@txstruct.com