Re: Standard space again

At 12:57 PM +0100 24/6/2001, Mark Barratt wrote:
>Victor Caston wrote:
>  > But notice what happens with Monotype Ehrhardt (which is what I need
>>  to use for one of my documents):
>>
>>          8 pt    has a standard space of .24 em
>  >         9                               .25
>  >         18                              .23
>>
>>  Goes up and down -- not even a linear progression.
>
>Monotype PostScript Ehrhardt has a wordspace of 235 units. I can't
>replicate your results: Frame claims Standard Space = 0.23 at every size
>(Win2000, ATM DeLuxe 4.1, FrameMaker+SGML 6.0, unified PostScript
driver). This is what I would expect to see.

I have been playing around with these settings since Victor asked his
question and, with FM6.0p395 on Mac OS 9.0.4 at any rate, there seems
to be some transient inconsistency in how the setting for the
standard space in the Advanced pane registers changes made in Default
Font. For instance, say I have the default font set to 12 pt.
TimesNRMT (PostScript) and the standard space is registered as .25
em. If I change the typeface to Officina Serif-Book and check the
Advanced pane, I see that the standard space is registered as .3 em.
If, however, making no additional changes, I move to the next pane
and return to Advanced, the standard space is registered as .25 em. I
have noticed similar fluctuations when increasing or decreasing
spread and changing the font size. Odd but probably not critical.  I
have no explanation.

LTM

--
Lindsey Thomas Martin
lmartin@sfu.ca / 604.215.9490

Publications, The Fraser Institute
4th floor, 1770 Burrard Street
Vancouver BC V6J 3G7 Canada
lindseym@fraserinstitute.ca
tel 604.688.0221 x584 / fax 604.688.8539