RE: Text insets in structured documents such as EDDs

OK, I'll bite. In the case of EDD maintenance, why do you need to enclose
your insets in a wrapper element at all? Presumably each reusable fragment
will be contained in its own uniquely named flow on a reference page or in a
separate holding document. I can't see why the individual fragments need to
be valid, as long as the EDD is valid.

You could, for example, create a 'Text Format Rules' element with all the
subrules desired and then save it in separate flow labeled 'MyFormatRule' on
the reference page. You can then, according to your own suggestion, import
the MyFormatRule flow as a text inset into every element where you wanted to
apply those rules. The EDD in the main document flow will still be valid
even though the MyFormatRule flow on the reference page is invalid.

That doesn't make the incorrect handling of SGMLFragment less of a bug, I
suppose, but why use it if it's not needed? I know I'm missing something
here.