RE: Formatting ChapterTitle paragraph tag to be on multiple lines

Mark and all:

> We have tried to do a similar thing, although in our case we wanted both
lines
> to be left justified. The problem is that FrameMaker would not wrap when
it
> should have. Through the autonumbering setup, we had "Chapter x" on the
first
> line, left justified, followed by a tab that went close to the right
margin. We
> assumed that any text entered manually in that paragraph would be forced
to move
> to the next line. It wouldn't. Instead, all the letters would stack up in
> jumble at the end of the line. The solution was to manually enter a space
after
> the tab. Then, everything moved to the next line. (We used a thin space
to make
> it less noticeable, especially for when that paragraph was pulled into a
> generated TOC.)

In FM 3.0--5.0 you could set a tab stop coincident with the right-hand side
of a text frame and subsequent text would move to the next text frame in a
flow.  This all failed in 5.5.6 and later.  But you can still get it to
work.  In the Numbering tab of the Para Designer dialogue, insert something
like this:

     C:Chapter\ <n+>\t<spc>\sn<spc>

that is, a tab (\t), a normal spacebar space (<spc>), an en quad (\sn), and
another normal space (<spc>).

I arrived at this by trial and error to restore the former behaviour.

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor