Re: FrameMaker 6.0

Lorelei:

> I am using FrameMaker 6.0 and cannot get my
> chapter numbers to auto number.  When I build my book, all of the chapter
> numbers revert to Chapter 1.  When I look at the format for numbering, it
resembles:
> C:Chapter <n+>\t

Can you provide me instruction on setting autonumbering for running
chapters.

I have had brief exposure to FrameMaker 6.0 and no access to it here at
work until our order arrives.  So what follows is from memory.

FM 6.0 has a new <$chapnum> builder which you would insert in the Numbering
tab of the Para Designer thus:

     C:Chapter\ <$chapnum>\t   /* "\ " is a non-breaking space */

or possibly just

     C:<$chapnum>\t  /* Not sure about this; see also book settings below
*/

with the 'Chapter\ ' prefix supplied from the book file.

If you have any figure or section numbering headings, you similarly replace
the old <n+>, <n>, or < > builder with <$chapnum>, thus

BEFORE    C:Figure\ <n>.<n+>
AFTER     C:Figure\ <$chapnum>.<n+>

If you need to preserve the value of <$chapnum> but suppress it, you simply
insert an < > placeholder as you did before.

The <$chapnum> builder only increments with each new chapter.  You set it
to restart by changing the Set Up File properties in the book file.  You
can also set up the type of numbering, e.g. 4, D, d, iv, IV, in the book
file.  There is a new menu in the book file where I think this stuff lurks.

So for

     Chapter 1 /* Set prefix to 'Chapter', restart chapter numbering,
format Arabic (4)
     Chapter 2 /* Set prefix to 'Chapter', continue numbering, format
Arabic (4)
     Chapter 3
     Appendix A     /* Set prefix to 'Appendix', restart chapter numbering,
formal capital alphabetic (D)
     Appendix B

Actually, I'm a little uneasy about the prefix bit; may not be true.
Anyway, there should be enough misinformation here to help you figure it
out from the User Guide.

> If you can suggest a good reference book for 6.0, I would appreciate that
as
> well. Thank you

"The Masters Series: FrameMaker 6" by Thomas Neuburger

 Twelfth Night Books, 8127 NW Hazeltine Street, Portland OR
 97229, Phone: 503-297-1675, <mailto:inquiries@twelfthnight.com>

"FrameMaker 5.5.6 for Dummies" by Sarah O'Keefe

 <
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0764506374/frameusersA/103-8343236-8354240>

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor