Re: [austechwriter] RE: FrameMaker right margin gap

Sonja:

Hi, there.  Just getting over my hangover (three bottles X 3 people =
headaches) from last night's ASTC dinner.

> I've got a page set up with two columns. The left justified text in the
> paragraph in the right column doesn't want to finish close enough to the
> right margin. I'm sure some of the words starting on the following line
> would easily fit at the end of the previous line. I don't want to use
> hyphenation. Any ideas on how to fix this?

> OK, a bit more investigating under my belt and I think I know what it is.
> I'm using Times (not my choice), and when I change the font to Book
Antiqua
> it looks fine. Is Time known to have the sort of problem I'm having?

You don't say whether the print-out is okay but the screen display is not.
If its only the screen display you sometimes find that there appears to be
plenty of space at the end of the line for another word BUT when you print
the space will be insufficient.  This phenomenon occurs because screen
resolution is coarser than print resolution, so FrameMaker can't accurately
represent word and letter positioning on screen.  Courier (PostScript
version) is particularly prone.

A tip with ragged right setting:**  work out the average distance between
the ends of lines and the right margin.  Then extend the right margin of
the text frame by this amount so the apparent average right margin lines up
with your running headers or other elements on the page.  Old typographer's
trick.

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor