Re: Disabling functions for a demo file (book)?

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.

From: "Robert Huber" <getintouch@seven-r.ch>
> How can I disable the menus Save, Save as..., Copy and so on to a
> FrameMaker document. The purpose is to distribute a demo version of a
> FrameMaker file (book). People should be able to use it to see the
> features. Of course I do not want anybody to use the file for production
> purposes without obtaining (buying) a full copy. Has anyone tips on how
> to do this?

Save the file as View Only; this will disable some menu commands.
However, an experienced user knows how to unlock this: Esc F l k
(it's a toggle command, try it yourself).
To disable specific commands, you need to save as MIF and insert
special MIF commands that aren't available through the GUI.
You can even disable the unlocking feature:
  <DViewOnly Yes >
  <DViewOnlyNoOp 0xf00 >

More information can be found in the online MIF manual, chapter
"Using MIF statements", section "Setting View Only Document Options".