Re: Style Question

I like the somewhat more explicit: "From the menu system, select File >
Save > etc."

Craig Ede
Los Jugadores Bazutadores

>>> "Thomas Michanek" <thomas.michanek@telia.com> 09/06/00 04:18PM >>>
> I need to make frequent reference to submenu commands. As an example,
if I
> wanted to tell someone how to set up their page numbers in a FM
document, I
> might direct them to "Select Format > Document > Numbering" [...]
> I know that it may be better to say something like, "From the Format
menu,
> select Document, then select Numbering," but this gets to be very
tedious
> [...]
> I have checked the various "popular" style guides, but none of them
address
> this technique (and most seem not to even consider it an option).
> Are we wrong? Should we bite the bullet and adopt the verbal approach
of
> describing how to navigate the menus?

Use the "shorthand" approach, if you're not forced to follow any
specific
style guide. It's getting more and more popular, and it's shorter and
easier to follow (once you understand the notation).
Of course, you should include a section on "Conventions" at the start
of your manuals, explaining the notation. This is exactly how the FM
User Guide does it.

> If anyone else uses this "shorthand" approach, can you give me some
idea as
> to the style(s) you have adopted? I am particularly interested in
hearing
> what character you use to separate the multiple levels of menu
> commands/options.

The ">" character is standard, with one space on each side. I would
personally set the entire menu specification in italics to make it
stand out and avoid confusion with the surrounding descriptive text.
However, this is only appropriate if single menu choices are also
set in italics.

In less formal contexts, you could even use the ">" notation for tabs
or buttons within dialogs, e.g. "Select View > Options > General" for
selecting the General tab in the Options dialog from the View menu.
But this is not recommended in technical documentation.