Re: Using Frame to layout Chinese text

Geoff,

You will need to have a Chinese version of Windows to render the Chinese
characters in FrameMaker.  If you are running Win2K then you can simply set the
default system language to Chinese and then reboot your machine.  In either case
you will need have a Chinese enabled system to work in Chinese in FrameMaker.
Furthermore, you will need the exact Chinese system, not just any double byte
system.  Meaning you cannot use a Simplified Chinese version of Windows 95 to
work in Traditional Chinese, Korean or Japanese.  I don't remember if the Word
import filters work very well with Chinese, but I would be wary of that.  I
always just used text files to get the text into FrameMaker and then published
it the way I wanted.  If you are actually translating an English FrameMaker
document in Chinese then I would recommend looking at the Trados S-Tagger
(www.trados.com) program to extract your original text and then put the
translated text back into FrameMaker.

If you have any more specific questions please feel free to e-mail me directly.

Steve

Steve Schwedland                   steve@noonetime.com
Noonetime - Realized Energy        phone: 303-291-0230
Denver, CO                         direct: 303-994-1851
USA                                http://www.noonetime.com