Re: Escaping Special Characters in Index Markers

Use the backslash character as the escape:

eg: \[ \, \: \]

Also, you may have to force the sort order of the entry in the index by using
[].

Example: suppose you want the ":" to be sorted as if it were the word
"framistan", the entry would read:

<Keyboard Character Font>\:<Default Para Font>\[100\][framistan]

and lo! the entry will be sorted under "F".

Geoffrey Marnell wrote:

> Dear Framers,
>
> The FrameMaker book I am indexing uses a special font to represent the
> characters on a keyboard. Some of these characters are mapped to characters
> used to separate parts of an index marker (for example, ;, <, and >). So,
> following the standard way of entering an index marker, I have been entering
> markers like this: <Keyboard Character Font>;<Default Para Font>[1],
> <Keyboard Character Font>><Default Para Font>[1]and so on. Not surprisingly,
> Frame ignores such markers when it generates the index.
>
> Does anyone know a way of escaping characters like ;, < and > so that they
> are read literally by Frame rather than as part of the structure of the
> index marker.
>
> Thanks
>
> Geoff

             _   _        Michael Richards
            ( \ / )       Email:  michaelr@ind.tansu.com.au
           __\ Y /,-')    Tel: +61 2 9206 3524
          (__     .-'     Locked Bag 6581 Sydney 1100
             |   (        Fax: +61 2 9281 1301
             [___]        Intelligent Network Platforms,
             |oo |        Telstra Corporation, Australia
           ,' \  |
          <___/  |
             |   |
             |   |     HAVE YOU SEEN THIS CHICKEN???