Thanks for all assistance offered. Dov pointed out, correctly, that we
were using an illegal setup. The AdobePS drivers are not to be used with
the HP printer models 8xxx series. I've seen that before, but it slipped
my mind this time around.

This still doesn't explain why the error occurs with the HP 5si printer
and the all-Adobe workflow of FM5.5.6, AdobePS 4.2.6 and Acrobat 4. I
repeat, the dropped symbols (not blank, but transmuted to dots) error
displays in the PDF using an all-Adobe workflow. Perhaps this is a
symptom of having a machine setup wrong with the AdobePS driver and the
illegal HP printers. I'll look into this further. It makes no logical
sense why the driver setup of a physical printer should influence the PS
printer, but then this is Windows we're talking about, and logic seems
to disappear sometimes.

Arnis pointed out that any font displaying copyright dates previous to
92 is also a concern. Our Helvetica displays 1990 as the copyright date,
but our custom font displaying the error was created this year.

As far as the font information changing whenever you change the Windows
printer instance through the Print Setup dialog in Frame, I have always
thought this a minor issue. My sysadmin was concerned to hear about this
error message, and prompted my query. Like many of you, I have seen this
error only cause trouble  .01% of the time (a line broke differently).
It makes sense that printer metrics are affected when switching the
print drivers and PPDs. In all cases, PS Type 1 fonts are used and there
is no overt difference between installed font sets. Maybe the printer
instances have slightly variant installed font sets in their memory. Any
further input is appreciated.

It boggles the mind why anyone chooses to do their PS to PDF workflow on
a Windows operating system. The Mac print drivers display far fewer
errors, create smaller PS and PDF files, and hold the CMYK colors from
Frame. Sorry, I don't mean to rant, but one respondent said, "it doesn't
get any better than this. Welcome to Microsoft hell."

Best wishes all,

Jason Aiken