Re: PDF error in Exchange when filename contains a space

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 18:12:07 +1000, "Rolfe, Karen (Ex AS01)"
<KRolfe@honeywell.com.au> wrote:

>I have discovered that when saving a PDF, some machines can handle a space
>in the filename e.g. adobe framemaker.pdf and others can't. Can someone tell
>me why or if it is a preference where I can find it.

I would *strongly* advise everyone to avoid spaces in file names
and especially in directory names at all costs, unless you are
on a Mac and will only be on a Mac.

While Win9x and NT *claim* to have support for spaces, the risk
of encountering code that does *not* have this support, in MS
or other Windows products, is very high.  For DOS and Win3.1,
spaces were not only illegal, they were a delimiter.  They
still are, if you use the command line ("DOS" box), so you
have to "quote" names with spaces on it.  However, you are
really asking for trouble at every turn when you use this ill-
considered feature...

With FrameMaker, one obvious example comes up with referenced
graphics.  Suppose you have a graphic:
  ../New Images/book one/abcd.gif
and then move it to another directory.  When you get the dialog
in FrameMaker at load time, it says the missing graphic is:
  ../New
or maybe
  ../New Images/book
truncating the path at a space.  So you can't tell which image
it really is... and cannot fix the path.  Your only recourse
is to SaveAs MIF and edit the paths there, *both* formats
of path (or delete one format entirely).  Not user friendly...

Bottom line:  Don't use spaces in file or path names, at all.

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/