Using Frame with Caldera Summary

Dear Framers

Thanks to Craig Ede, Henry Meyerding, Alan Litchfield, Thomas Michanek,
Duncan Keeling, and Viktor Haag. (I apologize if I missed anybody--the error
wasn't intentional!)

As promised when I posted the email on using Frame with Caldera Linux, here
is what I've learned so far:

Nobody that responded has gotten this combination to work.

Most that responded would love to get either Caledera/Linux or Red Hat/Linux
to work so that they could get rid of Windows

Craig had a response from Adobe that said that there is no sanctioned
version of Frame for Linux, although you might be able to get the Solaris
version and have Linux run as an X terminal from it (which means you must
have a Unix version of Frame available)

Another posted that you can get a full copy of Sun Solaris Intel for free
for personal use.  You can then use Frame with confidence under Solaris. But
another person said that Frame's Solaris version on works on Sparcs. (I
haven't checked out the latest on this one.)

Another person thought it "might be possible to run a win32 version in some
win32 emulation environment like WINE. Not very encouraging."

Mark Hilton of Adobe will let us know when something is posted.

Michael Michanek gave us the following sites to check out and said that I
could pass them on.

(http://www.egroups.com/group/framers/)

At least check out the following messages:
http://www.egroups.com/group/framers/13556.html (Summary)
http://www.egroups.com/group/framers/14206.html (MIF on Linux)
http://www.egroups.com/group/framers/12828.html (MIF on Linux)
http://www.egroups.com/group/framers/13262.html (Adobe, Solaris x86)

That's all that I know of for now. I'll post again if I get more information
together.

Jerilynne Sander, FrameMaker A.C.E.
Simply Written, Inc.
Creators of the Clustar Method (tm) for single source documentation
NEW PHONE NUMBER: 317-562-9298
jsander@simplywritten.com
http://www.simplywritten.com