Suspected Gray-Market Version of FM+SGML V5.5.6

I've been working at a client's facility on NT platforms where FM+SGML 5.5.6
is installed. These licenses were purchased recently from one of Adobe's
major Premium VAR resellers. I've noticed the following anomalies:

1. When you create a new document by clicking the Portrait button, a
document with with the A4 page size is created. I discovered this fact after
trying to print some of the client's documents, and getting a notice that
the page size was too large for the US letter sized paper in the printer,
and found that the reason was the A4 page size. I then quickly found that
the reason was that the new documents were being initially created by
clicking the Portrait button in the New dialog.

The only way to stop this behavior is to click the Custom button, and select
the US Letter page size. I checked the client's FMSGML.INI file. It has not
been modified, as proven by the fact that the file has the original date.
Also, the PAGESIZE.CFG file has not been modified. There is no entry in the
FMSGML.INI file that changes the default page size to be changed, and
nothing in the Customizing FrameMaker on-line document describes any way to
change it.

2. All of the Standard Templates supplied with FM+SGML have the A4 page size.

3. When opening an ACII text file, The default text encoding option is an
Asian language option. There is nothing in the Customizing FrameMaker
on-line document that describes any way to change it.

4. I opened the Adobe Type Manager that was installed during FM+SGML
installation. The initial screen that appears is the one produced the first
time ATM is opened. The Installed ATM Fonts listbox is empty. Also, the
PSFONTS directory is empty. The only postscript fonts on the platform are
those in the Distiller Fonts directory, which contains only about 6 fonts.
When attempting to add these fonts to ATM, a warning appears declaring that
they cannot be added.

5. In the Paragraph and Character designers, the default language option is
UK English. There is nothing in the Customizing FrameMaker on-line document
that describes any way to change change the default option.

6. The NOT FOR EXPORT label appears on the box, but the bar-code on the box
is suspiciously smudged so that it cannot be read.

The combination of all these anomalies has the distinct odor of a
gray-market version of FM+SGML obtained from some Asian or European
reseller, and then sold by a US VAR in violation of the restriction on
selling versions intended for overseas markets to US licencees.

Has anyone else in the US found these same or similar anomalies in an
installed version of FrameMaker or FM+SGML obtained from an An Adobe U.S
reseller? If so, please post a reply.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646