Re: seeking utility that lists paras in use w/in FM docs

At 11:23 AM 5/27/99 -0500, Jo Baer wrote:
>Please tell all of us! This is definitely on my wish list for the next
>release of FM. Also on my wish list is an import formats option to
>remove formats not in the document or template imported from.
>
>Maxwell Hoffmann wrote:
>>
>> I'm seeking a utility or plug-in for FrameMaker that generates a list of
>> paragraph styles and character tags that are 'in use' in the current
>> document (vs "dead" paragraph styles in the catalog that are no longer in
>> use).
>>
>> If anyone has any recommendations, please contact me.
MifMuncher (at least the version I have) lists all the paragraph tags in the
catalog, including those which are not used.

But I have a way to do it that doesn't require a 3rd-party utility, even if
such a utility exists:

1. In your document, Choose File > Generate/Book, and select Generate
Alphabetical List of Paragraphs. In the Set Up Alphabetical Paragraph List,
hold down the Shift key, and click the left arrow. This moves all paragraph
tags in your paragraph catalog into the Include listbox.

2. Generate the list. In the resulting generated list having either an APL
suffix or a .APL extension, select View > Reference Pages, and go to the APL
reference page having the APL list specification flow. Doctor the APL list
specification flow to delete the <$paragraph> and <$pagenum> list
specification components from each line.

3. Next, in the APL list specification flow, put your cursor at the
beginning of each (now empty) paragraph. The bottom of the document window
displays the paragraph name, followed by the APL suffix. Type in the
paragraph name without the APL suffix, and repeat this for each listed
paragraph (all paragraph tagnames contained in the source document's
paragraph catalog, including those which are not used, will have a paragraph
name in the list specification flow).

4. Shown below is the way the APL list specification flow will look after
steps 2 and 3 are performed if you generated the APL list from a document
that has the paragraph catalog produced when you create a new document that
uses the default paragraph catalog:

openObjectId <$relfilename>:<$ObjectType> <$ObjectId>
<$symbols><$numerics><$alphabetics>
-–—
Title
TableTitle
TableFootnote
Numbered1
Numbered
Indented
HeadingRunIn
Heading2
Heading1
Footnote
CellHeading
CellBody
Bulleted
Body

5. Now, repeat step 1 to regenerate the list. This time, you will get an
alphabetical listing of the paragraph tags that are actually used in the
source document. Here is an example of the resulting listings for a document
having the default new document catalog that uses some of those paragraph
tags listed above, but not all of them:

Body
CellBody
CellBody
CellBody
CellHeading
CellHeading
Heading1
TableTitle

6. By comparing the list in step 5 of actually used paragraphs to the list
in step 4 appearing in the APL list specification flow, you can identify the
paragraph tags which are not used.

7. Note also that, by comparing the list of paragraphs in step 4 to the
paragrph tags in your template, you can identify any paragraph tags that
were added to the document's paragraph catalog which are not in the
template's paragraph catalog. Since such tags are not in the template, they
cannot be globally updated from the template, and therefore should be
removed, and instances of paragraphs using those deleted tags should be
changed to the appropriate tag in the template.

8. Note also that, if the list in step 4 is missing paragraph tags that are
included in your template, you can identify which ones have been deleted,
and take the appropriate corrective action (e.g., using File > Import >
Formats to restore them to the document by re-importing the paragraph
formats from the template).

9. If you turned hypertext markers on when generating the list produced in
step 5, you can CTRL-ALT-click on any list item in the generated list to
produce a hypertext jump to that paragraph in the source document.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646