RE: HTML And/Or PDF? - Reply

Dan,

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment on all aspects you addressed regarding this particular topic. However, since the benefits will only become clear when the flow of XML structured data can go both ways, the use of XML will be a bit slow growing at first.

I hope that Adobe fully implements round-tripping XML capability for FrameMaker. If Microsoft implements XML roundtripping in Word this would make handling Word docs with FrameMaker much simpler than the current nightmare of having to deal with importing them via version-specific filters. Words native file format has changed so many times that it is impossible to have filters that are reliable.

I don't expect Microsoft implement XML in their products without putting some stumbling block(s) into the process because it can only weaken their grip on the marketplace. They can't afford to ignore XML however because the benefits will become very clear in a very short time if all the other vendors are working to meaningfully implement it.

Craig

At 12:13 PM 5/20/99 -0700, Snavely, Deborah wrote:
>Dan said:
>> Re: HTML  And/Or   PDF?
><snip>
>Theoretically, it looks fascinating and has a huge potential.
>Practically, the path from here to there is completely fogged in!
Far less foggy than existing methods of moving  conventionally prepared docs
in and out of a database, or converting them from one DTP format to another,
or moving them between different platforms, or reliably converting them
to/from HTML, or translating them into different languages. These are
problems that will continue to plague the publishing and tech writing
industries until some universal format (such as XML) is used for information
exchange between people, software applications, databases, and platforms.

    1999 FrameUsers Conference: http://www.FrameUsers.com/conference/
     Dr. John Warnock Keynote on Adobe and the Future of FrameMaker