FSGML:formal public identifier is invalid?

In FSGML 5.5.6 on Win95 I keep getting the parser message:

"pathname/myfile.sgm; line 1 Formal public identifier
(//CONTRACTORNAME//doclrumi 082997//EN) is invalid; treated as
informal."

The identifier is copied right out of my customer's DTD and the DOCTYPE
matches the declaration. I have an entry in my sgmlapps.fm file
identifying the PublicID and pointing to the DTD. I have a writer
command in the rules file to write the PublicID in the output file and
the identifier in the rules file matches the ID in the sgmlapps.fm file
and the identifier in the DTD.

The file parses correctly otherwise, so I fell safe in deleting the
<?Fm: Validation Off> tag, but I would still like to figure out what it
takes to make that parser error go away.

Any ideas please?
Thank you